The Mandalorian Trailer Breakdown and other D23 news
At last, the The Mandalorian trailer – the first official footage of the first ever live-action Star Wars series – has arrived. Here you can watch the trailer, read our breakdown, and check out all the other Mandalorian news that’s been announced at Disney’s D23 Expo today.
Merchandise and costumes
Earlier today, news came out that one of the show’s main characters, an Ugnaught, is named Kuiil (with probably Nick Nolte delivering the character’s voice). Besides merchandise like the Funko Pop! of the Mandalorian, and the exclusive pin for attendees, the costumes of some of the main characters are being exhibited on the main floor of Disney’s event. We got a good look at the titular character’s (Pedro Pascal) costume, as well as Cara Dune’s (Gina Carano) in this video by Attractions Magazine.
No Boba Fett
This morning, Good Morning America sat down with creator, showrunner, and writer Jon Favreau and revealed that Favreau will be inducted as a Disney Legend today. The host asked Favreau if the legendary Star Wars character Boba Fett is set to appear in The Mandalorian, which Favreau denied without hesitation.
GMA: Boba Fett, will he be in The Mandalorian?
Jon Favreau: Boba Fett is not (in the Mandalorian, ed.). They are all new original characters. I’m at a timeframe that is thirty years stretch of story time that hasn’t been explored at all, except in the Extended Universe (EU).
The First Official Poster
Twin suns beat down over a dusty desert, and a gunslinger walks alone. A powerful new poster for the upcoming Disney+ series was revealed today at D23 Expo, offering a glimpse into the world of The Mandalorian. The image, with an almost hand-painted quality, sees the Mandalorian advancing in a harsh, dry terrain, and his ship, the Razor Crest, behind him. Only moisture vaporators decorate the otherwise desolate landscape, while two massive sandcrawlers sit in the far-off distance. The suns shine through the desert haze, and one thing is clear: this is not a place for the weak.
Ming-Na Wen joins the cast
Disney CEO Bob Iger confirmed that newly inducted Disney Legend Ming-Na Wen joins the cast of The Mandalorian. Wen is best known for portraying Melinda May in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and for voicing the titular character in Mulan and Mulan II.
— Rotten Tomatoes (@RottenTomatoes) August 23, 2019
Showrunner, creator, and writer Jon Favreau took the stage with Dave Filoni, who will be directing The Mandalorian‘s first episode. Some of the notes worth mentioning:
- It’s Dave Filoni’s first D23. Filoni and Favreau are talking about how they met, which they also told the audience at Celebration in Chicago, back in April.
- Filoni wrote one script, Favreau wrote 8 scripts.
- It’s a whole new set of characters, in a whole new timeperiod.
- If you’re a Star Wars fan, you’ll get to see a lot of callbacks and references to the older movies and the EU.
- Pedro Pascal, Gina Carano, Carl Weathers, Giancarlo Esposito, and Taika Waititi joined Filoni and Favreau on-stage.
- Taika Waititi plays IG-11 in the show.
- Pascal says “It’s been a dream come true.”, getting to be part of the Star Wars family. The other actors had similar remarks.
- There is a trailer!
The Mandalorian‘s first official trailer is finally out. Are you ready? Let’s dive in!